Saturday, June 21, 2008

balance doesn't eliminate passion

I often see the following paradigm applied all over the place. When it was first said, I believe it was strictly a spiritual analysis, but I think it can be pressed further.
Empty souls tend toward extreme opinion
You know, like guys flying planes into the sides of buildings and saying that they did it for God. Or people who will bet their whole soul that Jesus will come back on this or that date.

I might be stupid, but I feel like I also see this in the way people eat, vote, treat their family, and spend their money. I know it's not the case for everyone, but I promise you that I see it everywhere.

I guess I just really want to be balanced and not culturally knuckle-headed. I only want to see rigid allegiance and integrity in the way I live. This will have to be by grace. Holy Spirit, please help.

1 comment:

Andrew Lewis said...

These are good words. Thank you.

I find this can be the case in my own life in varying degrees; I don't exactly like to think of myself as an "empty soul," but I have most definitely noticed that when my spirit is dry, my politics are most defined and forefront. When my spirit is dry, even things like my sports allegiances are more caustic. When I am spiritually dry, my music / beer/ literature / whatever else snobbery becomes me. Seemingly little, unimportant things such as all these become monumental dividing issues. And the Gospel gets left behind.

But when those occasions when my spirit is more receptive to *the* Spirit, "the things of earth grow strangely dim." Gentleness, meekness, humility, hospitality, generosity, grace... these are the things that consume my thoughts.

It's pretty easy to see where I spend most of my time.

Yes, Holy Spirit, please help.