- A sanctified person, like a silver bell, the harder he is smitten, the better he sounds [George Swinnock].
- Poverty and affliction take away the fuel that feeds pride [Richard Sibbes].
- We often learn more of God under the rod that strikes us, than under the staff that comforts us [Stephen Charnock].
- When I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord's choicest wines [Samuel Rutherford].
- It is said that in some countries trees will grow, but will bear no fruit, because there is no winter there [John Bunyan].
Sunday, June 29, 2008
"ON AFFLiCTiON" [puritan excerpts]
Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word. I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are righteous and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me [Psalm 119.67, 75].