Friday, April 18, 2008

a midnight ramble

I just got home from a pastor's conference in Louisville, KY. It was good fun all the way around, getting to be with some of the boys and my dad too. Some of the guys who spoke did an ok job, but as usual, Dr Piper tore it up.

He preached on how the supremacy of Jesus should create radical sacrifice in the lives of ministers. I feel like when he speaks at these pastor's conferences he stands up there as an unmuzzled prophet. It was theologically, spiritually, emotionally, and practically overwhelming. It was like you couldn't even take notes or glance down at your Bible, but you knew you were being summoned to live and die in a manner past
your capability. Terrifying and glorious at the same time.

There were a few lines he quoted from Isaac Watts that were particularly sweet and powerful:
Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease
While others fought to win the prize
And sailed through bloody seas?


Other conference highlights included 5000 voices, one grand piano, and really old hymns. RC Sproul actually brought an excellent word as well. He explained the curse motif in the atonement from Gal 3.10-14, Dt 27-28, and elsewhere. Download and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a little bit jealous...

Anonymous said...

Jim you are right on about Piper! Man I sat there and I was truly shook by the Spirit. I pray by the grace of God that my life will have a radical flavor, so that here in West Columbia I will go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach that he endured! Blessings brother!