Wednesday, January 16, 2008

MUSiC [trinity, harmony, infinity]

Thomas a Kempis said that

If your heart were right, then every created thing would be a mirror of life for you and a book of holy teaching, for there is no creature so small and worthless that it does not show forth t he goodness of God.


In music, there are only 12 notes. And within these 12, there are technically only 7 notes that help to define the remainder of the 12 [the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G are what we use to label the notes A#, G#, Eb, Bb, etc]. So, I really don’t know the huge significance of the 12 and 7, but let's just say that they indicate wholeness. For example, you can spell every word in Webster with 26 letters. In the same way, every song ever written is really just 12 notes intentionally rearranged. But here’s where it gets good.

I was giving a guy guitar lessons the other day and was trying to explain to him how every major chord has only 3 notes. I kept reminding him though, that each note in that chord can be played by itself. See, each note is one and each chord is one, but the chord is also three.

Best of all, music exists totally apart from what you think about it. Music is. It doesn’t have to have your stamp of approval. You can’t say that an E major chord is not an E major chord. It just is. However, your experience, involvement, and dedication to the external reality known as music can help other people cherish its beauty even if they can’t explain how they delight in it.

How much more does it have to be spelled out for us? He is there. He is here. He is near. And we are in need of a participation with something that can unplug our deaf ears to hear Music.

3 comments:

Sara said...

This is one of my favorites...

j.brush said...

nice man. Music is awesome. One of my favorite things about it for me is that it fluctuates. I always like music but sometimes more than others - depending on where I'm at in my life. Music hits me different at different times. And then there are those moments where you hear the perfect song just when you needed it most and it feels like your eyes opened for the first time. Music...

Anonymous said...

Not bad, my rocking buddy.