Monday, July 2, 2007

holy historical hymnody, batman

Tis preposterous to say that the church today is in the state it is in solely because of the sometimes shallow and dumb lyrics in the songs we sing. However, we are certainly helping to sustain our emaciated spirituality by them. So, here's a little John Newton to soothe the soul.

begone, unbelief
my Savior is near
and for my relief
will surely appear
by prayer let me wrestle
and He will perform
with Christ in the vessel
I smile at the storm

though dark be my way
since He is my guide
tis mine to obey
tis His to provide
though cisterns be broken
and creatures all fail
the word He has spoken
shall surely prevail

His love in times past
forbids me to think
He'll leave me at last
in trouble to sink
each sweet Ebenezer
I have in review
confirms His good pleasure
to help me quite through

why should I complain
of want or distress
temptation or pain?
He told me no less
the heirs of salvation
i know from His word
through much tribulation
must follow their Lord

since all that I meet
shall work for my good
the bitter is sweet
the med'cine is food
though painful at present
twill cease before long
and then, o how pleasant
the conqueror's song!

No comments: